Saint-Gobain is seeking a Senior Research Technician to join the Bonded Abrasives team at the Northboro Research North America facility. You will perform advanced, specialized technical functions involving testing, analyzing, improving, installing, operating and solving problems concerning complex processes, equipment and products for assigned areas.
You will primarily focus on laboratory experiments for Bonded Abrasives at the center and pilot scale trails at the Worcester plant to help develop new vitrified composite products. Typical activities and a representative breakdown of job responsibilities are below:
* Prepares/processes material samples including: * Active involvement in standard and exploratory experimental design,
* Routine laboratory activity to make or prep materials and test samples
* Development work with non-routine R&D assignments such as design of fixtures for experimental set-up and establishing proper data acquisition system
* Collects, analyzes and reports scientific & engineering data obtained from laboratory equipment through an effective plan/coordination. Performs data analysis and present results and maintain laboratory notebook.
* Maintain laboratories and equipment including set-up, operation and trouble-shooting of experimental equipment or instruments. Leads troubleshooting initiatives and machine repair efforts.
* Other duties in the department or site-wide committees as assigned.
* Hands-on experience in general laboratory and manufacturing tasks including proper chemical handling.
* Capability to use personal computer and Microsoft Office applications, such as Excel and Word, is a must. Able to graph and chart data.
* Demonstrated knowledge of health and safety operations, create a grassroots proactive culture of safety (physical) by encouraging, empowering, and involving all staff in safety.
* Ability to work with a diverse project team in an open and collaborative mode
* Good communication and interpersonal skills
* Occasional lifting may be required up to 25 lbs.
* Previous knowledge on use of mechanical and thermal characterization equipment (preferred).
* Able to work in a plant environment as needed to scale up products or processes
* Associates degree in an engineering, technical, or science related field, or demonstrated equivalent with 4-7 years' of experience
* Demonstrated ability to utilize and maintain complex production equipment
* Experience in a lab environment demonstrating attention to details and observational skills.
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain's largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow's products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.